Friday, May 05, 2006

Starting vocal lessons again

Recognizing that singing is my weak spot, I started taking voice lessons again. My goal is to make my voice as comfortable an instrument as my guitar.

In the first lesson, I became aware of habits I had developed that reduced the quality of my voice. Examples included tilting my head back which constricts my vocal chords. I've also concentrated too hard at trying to match pitch rather than letting my ears do the work. I found that by just singing, I was actually pretty close to being on pitch. I recognized that since I've been reluctant to sing, I've been trying to hard. This in turn has actually made my singing worse.

I did notice how far I have advanced in the past three years, when I wouldn't even sing for my dog. However, I still have a long way to go.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home